Saturday, January 23, 2016

MindMeister

For anyone who hasn't used this, it's quite amazing.
MindMeister is easy to use and I recommend it to anyone who likes the "let's brainstorm" way of writing.
This is my Effulgent project.

If you're able to read, remember that it contains spoilers.

I'm using the free version of this online helper, but I feel it's all I need. The color settings help keep track of what I'm writing, and the little icons help link things together in different arcs. Imagine if I put as much work into writing as I did to planning, I'd be done with the book already. Talking of which, anyone know any good, but not too expensive Ghostwriters or anyone wanting to co-write a book?
I've talked to a few and they all say the same thing. Write it yourself or be ready to pay up to $3000 for a fairly good co-author/ghostwriter. Yikes! My first question is, of course, why do they charge by word, and not by hour? Had a guy talking about $75/h, and you can write a lot of words in an hour, if you're good, so is it to make more money they charge by word? Or is it so that we don't pay for time when their not writing? Which would be really nice of them. What about all those filler words? Do we have to pay for those? Cause I don't know if I want to pay for two "the" after each other. Or glue words? What about those?
Don't get me wrong, ghostwriters are amazing, and I haven't run across a single one that's been rude or condescending. Most of them, in fact, have become really dear friends, but I digress.

Let's get back to MindMeister. This one is my Before Limbo project. Another series I'm currently working on.


As you can see, it's laid out differently. I can change that whenever I want, making this so fun to work with. If it's not clear, I have quite the steady base laid out for my series, but I'm struggling with finishing a draft. This is why I continue to write here, cause even if I don't write a single word in any of my projects, I'm still writing.
I've tried to figure out WHY I don't write more than a couple hundred words every other day, when I can put down 15k words on a fan fiction during a weekend. If anyone feels like hacking my brain and explaining it, I would be ever so grateful.

On the plus side. I do build on the story every day, my outline at least. Have noticed Mystery is quite the tough genre. I have to figure out a way to fool myself constantly. If I can see it coming, so can the reader. Might have to dive into some more mystery books before I get the lay of the land.

Is there something you absolutely DON'T want to see in a mystery novel? Let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to check this out! I haven't used MindMeister before!

    PS. I had no idea you were blogging again. I haven't written anything since December :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minmeister is crazy fun to use. It's like building a city with all the icons and colors.

      Yeah. It's been rough for me a few times, but I force myself to write something, even if it's just a silly fairy tale about my dogs, =)

      Delete